In$0mN!A

Monday, October 23, 2006

what is this world coming to?!!

I was out for iftar with my school friends last week, a kind of reunion with people I haven't seen for a long time, it was so good seeing them, seeing how much people have changed, and realizing how much I myself have changed.
it was a little strange to see almost all my friends graduated and working- poeple that, in my mind, are usually thought of with uniforms and school bags- some are working in computer companies, some in banks, but what I noticed is that most are working as teachers (!!!!)
and here's my first impression, okay, I understand an "alson" graduate to work as an english teacher for second graders, but what I don't get is, a girl who hardly passed in the faculty of commerce ALSO teaching english for young children, and in a highly respectable school!!!!
okay, please don't get me wrong, I'm not offending anyone here (and if it's anyone it's my friends) I'm just discussing something that struck me as "VERY DISAPPOINTING"!!
what is this country coming to?!
I know these girls who are now teachers, and I can tell you, three out of four know NOTHING about english rules, ya3ni mesh 3ashan bye3rafo ye3wego lsanhom w y7awlo yetkallemo zay el aflam el english, yeb2a y3allemo el 3eyal!!! what makes me really sad is that I sat and talked with my friend, who I think represents most of the young teachers in schools right now, all she seemed interested in was how "hot" the kids in prep and secondary classes were, and how "cool" the teachers were, they're all "our" age, w safleen mote, she regards the kids as "little devils", and he smart ones as "el da77a7een el 3o2ad" and she's proud that she treats them like shit in class , she likes the cute ones...
well, excuse me, I might seem a little exagerrating here but what my friend told me really shocked me! if these are the teachers teaching in our schools right now, then hell I don't want my kids going to school!
I'm not saying that kids should turn into "da77a7een w 3o2ad" or that teachers themselves should turn into that, God forbid! all I'm saying is: teaching is a VERY important job and should be taken seriously, because a teacher shapes children's futures! I don't know about you, but I used to idolize my english teacher when I was in second grade, and if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have been a ten year old with great writing abilites for her age. and I still blame my art teacher for "fadya fadya, ana 3yzaki temly el saf7a" had a great potential to paint a lot better that I do now...
I hope my friend is not an example to the teachers in schools right now, because if she is then God be with all children. I know our education system is corrupt as it is, but do you expect it to get any better if you get an "alson" graduate who was adaby in thanaweya to teach "science" for third graders?!!!
I know I might be taking this a little too seriously, maybe cause I was a "nerd" in school, and I'm in a faculty of the poeple who take education very seriously, if you're not from the top 200 then you're nothing!
pease, if you're a good teacher or you know any good teachers, tell me what I heard from my friends is not entirely true!

4 Comments:

  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger Maat said…

    i'm sorry to say that it is somewhat true!!!
    ok so maybe i'm not a brilliant teacher, i'm quitting anyway soon, but the things i've seen are really depressing! i have kids in class who are bright and smart but who are totally convinced that they're dumb cause that's what they've been taught. i have others who are clever and amazing, what some would call "nerdy" and who wont dare do anything different like speaking up or play sports cause they've been categorized and labelled..... by teachers!!!!! w ba3den eh el moshkela, fe in primary english teachers bey2olo lel 3eyal 3ala kol test dictation, be it reciting, complete, comprehension or dictation for real!!!

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Elsede3' said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Elsede3' said…

    what's the problem with being a nerd??
    i mean, is that bad???
    c'mon, students ARE supposed to be brilliant, not hot...it's a school for GOD's sake not a fashion show...
    it's fine by me if a "tegara" graduate teaches english as long as he has the capability...and i aint talkin bout the language we keda, wat's even more important, homma hayetsarafo ma3a elwelad ezay? i've always hated certain subjects bcuz of the teacher...we had this math teacher, he was an "economics and political science" graduate still we adored his classes -7atta we7na fe oola sanawy- 3shan tare2to...

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger gracefu( failure said…

    I don't mind if a teacher is an undergraduate 7atta, as long as they know how to teach, I beleive teaching is talent more than anything, asla the english teacher I was talking about was in the faculty of science! bas I'm just surprised at how their morals have become!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home